Donnerstag, 24. März 2011

IGF-1 and dairy products

Quite recently I came across an article in a German apothecary's journal (Apothekenumschau 15.03.2011, p73) stating that dairy products boost human growth factors (Bodo Melnik, dermatologist in Gütersloh). Since I know that there's some controversy (it's at least some covered by some papers) whether there is a correlation of human IGF-1 levels and cancer resp. (in a negative sense) longevity I googled and found a paper stating that dairy products do indeed contain an amount of IGF-1, which can be reduced by a fermentation process as you can find it in yogurt but not in cottage cheese/quark/curd. Here. I actually eat cottage cheese quite often (e.g. for breakfast) because of its saturating effect and its protein content. I know that there's quite little research concerning the influence of bovine IGF-1 in the human body so it's not proven that an extensive consumption of dairy products would even boost my or anyone else's IGF-1 levels. But of course I wonder now whether I should switch over to yogurt in the morning and leave cottage cheese/cheese/unfermented dairy products out of my diet if I want to stay healthy and grow old? So I would also drop the cup of milk in my morning oatmeal and use soy milk/almond milk/oat milk instead.
The last time I checked my IGF-1 levels it was quite normal (169 ng/ml in a range between 94 and 358 ng/ml). So there are still some things to change.
I'll keep in search of the relationships between IGF-1, diet and longevity.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen